Monday, August 24, 2015

Someday the bus may come...‏

I'm starting to realize that I spend a good amount of time just waiting for the bus to come, and then riding the bus to wherever it is we are going. For a while we haven't been using the bus but because Hermana Diaz's bike is broken we have been using it a lot more. The good news is that it gives me lots of opportunities to contact people. The bad news is that I am really bad at contacting. But sometimes I can get myself to do it and sometimes it even goes well. Like a few nights ago we were waiting for the bus and we got to talking to a guy also waiting for the bus. His was really interested in what church we were from and why we were doing what we were doing. We gave him a Mormon.org card and our number. He might live in the Elders area so we might not get to teach him but it was still a cool experience. 

The theme of this week was contacting. We have a district goal to get better at it, because it is something that so many missionaries struggle with. (Contacting is starting to talk to someone, hopefully tie it into the gospel, get their name and number and address and not be pushy about it. It is just as hard as it sounds.) While I was on exchanges this week that was mostly what we did. It was really cool to see and learn from someone who wasn't my companion and learn some new tricks. The biggest thing was to not think too much about what you are going to say during a contact, because then you won't do it. The trick is to just go on and let the Spirit guide. Which is of course the theme of missionary work. 

To finish off the week we got to see why contacting is so important. On Sunday morning we got a call from some of the English elders telling us that a man had called them that morning and was interested in coming to church. The man had gotten the elders number from a set of elders a year ago during a street contact and had held onto the card and finally called the number. He came to church, loved every part of it, and we have an appointment with him on Wednesday. So yeah. Contacting is important. Even if we don't actually get to teach them at that time we never know what could happen in the future. Lesson very well learned. Now my goal is to better apply it. Stay tuned for updates on my contacting abilities. 

I hope everything is going well for all of you with summer ending, school starting and the weather beginning to cool down, well more or less. If there is anything that I could ever do for any of you please let me know. I am very good at praying, which can sometimes help a bunch. And if it's another need, to quote Russel M. Nelson, "Ask the missionaries, they can help you!" And as a missionary I promise that they would be happy to help in any way they can. 

Nos vemos. 
Hermana Anna Christensen

No comments:

Post a Comment