Monday, October 31, 2016

The last 6 weeks ... and the first 6 weeks

 mini mission with Diana

 ward Halloween party with Nigel, our skeleton frog

These are honestly 5 of the best elders I have ever served around. They have gone above and beyond for us these last 6 weeks. And Juju in the background is really cute.
Things have gotten a little interesting here in Los Altos. Let me explain.

Last Monday Hermana Johnson and I were at the mall, just enjoying P-day, when we sat down for a minute to rest. That was when the phone
rang. I looked at it, saw it was the assistants, and said "I think this one's for you" and handed the phone to Hermana Johnson. However after about 30 seconds the phone got handed back to me. That was when Elder Sowards told me I would be training a new missionary next transfer, and to be at the office at 8 am the next morning for the trainers meeting. I was honestly shocked, mostly because I have been in the area longer, and I'll finish my mission in 6 weeks, so I won't be finishing her training. It's a strange thought, but I'm trying not
to focus on it.

We tried to keep the rest of the week as normal as possible. At the trainers meeting I again was told by Hermana Villanueva to rest as much as possible before Monday so we still had to take it pretty slow. But there were some bright moments.

Mini mission: this week we took advantage of the car, and Diana, the branch president's daughter's desire to serve a mission, and had a mini mission with her. The way it worked was we picked her up in the early morning and had studies with her, and then went out and worked until about 4. She was exhausted by the end, but had a great time. We felt bad, because it was one of those days where no one was home all day long, so we only had 2 lessons, but it was okay. As we told her later, it was a pretty accurate day in the mission. The best part, she still has a burning desire to serve. This kid is my favorite.

Lessons: this week we had a few really cool lessons, well really experiences with the Spirit. The first was with a woman named Alondra. We had a pretty good lesson with her, nothing special really, but at the end she told us how she had been feeling so down during the day, as if no one actually loved her, and so she decided to pray, and
immediately after we texted her to see how she was doing. It was such a small thing, but to her it was the answer to her prayer. Then, on Sunday, a man just walked in off the street to church. His name is Roger, and because he lives in Hacienda Heights and wants to come to a Spanish branch, (he speaks fluent English and Spanish), we grabbed him and had a quick lesson. His back story is absolutely crazy, I'll tell it in full detail a little later, but he has the desire and is searching for the gospel. We set him on date for the 26th of November, but we might move it up. We'll see.

Ward trunk or treat: it was so fun! It was combined with the English ward and I think they all underestimated how many people would come. We were in charge of counting everyone and we got in between 160 and
170. Possibly more. I had a couple close calls, we have learned from sad experience that I need to eat 3 meals a day and not be on my feet or in stressful situations for too long right now, my head gets a little funny. But I got through it, and it was worth it because we got to hear the transfer news in person instead of getting a phone call. The verdict is, both of us will be staying here! I will still be training, but Hermana Johnson will also be here. We're not entirely sure yet how it will work, but it will be fun. And it probably means that Hermana Johnson will finish my trainee's training. It certainly brought a lot of peace. In other news both the elders will be staying the same, though we are losing Elder Bentley and Elder Pao from the English ward. It's going to be a good 6 weeks!

I love you all! Have a great week!

Hermana Christensen

No comments:

Post a Comment